Forums 2016 Flags on the 48 2016 Trips & Routes Moosilauke 2016

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
      #48428 |

Hello Everyone!

I am honored to be a part of flags on the 48 for the very first time. I look forward to honoring all who were lost on 9/11/2001 by raising our flag on the summit of Moosilauke on 9/11/2016.

I look forward to speaking with the rest of you on the Moosilauke Team on this forum. If any of you have taken part in this experience before please give me some advice or success you have had with the flag and pole set up. As of right now my thought is to cut a 12 foot lodgepole and carry it up with someone and affix the flag with eyelets screwed in. We can attach guy wires for stability depending on wind. I plan to bring a hand saw so that once we are done we can cut the pole into a few smaller pieces for people to carry out and Leave No Trace!

If others have more experience and an idea I am totally open to help. I would like to hike up from the Moosilauke Ravine Lodge (on ravine lodge road) side via, Gorge Brook Trail, Snapper, and Moosilauke Carriage Road. It will be a 3.8 mile hike to the summit with a book time of 3 hours 5 minutes. I figure as a group carrying supplies we may take a little more or a little less. Then we will need time to set up up top! Does 7:30 work for everyone? Let me know, and I look forward to being a part of this with you all.

Best,

Craig Hanson

Craig_Hanson

Just to be clear unless there is a better alternative, the pole I will cut from a sapling will be from home and I will bring it on my roof rack of my truck. I will of course not be cutting it from the WMNF. Just wanted to clear that up! Cheers!

SilentCal

The fool scouts group has had past experience with the event so they will be able to help out.

Blue Cord

Craig the plan sounds great this is our first time doing the FOT 48 also and could not be more proud to be doing this.

Sherpa Tom

Craig, I have constructed a flagpole using PVC (obtained directions from someone on this site years ago) and created a PowerPoint for directions. I believe it breaks down to (8) 2.5′ sections. Contact me at tomcal15@verizon.net if interested.

Craig_Hanson

Sherpa Tom,

Thank you for posting this idea. I am interested to see the powerpoint. Can you email it to me at craighanson86@gmail.com ? Are you joining us on Moosilauke this year?

In addition, just hoping everyone else from the group can just drop a line on the forum that they saw the plan for meeting at the trailhead time and place. Also, it has come to my attention that the Ravine Lodge will be closed for construction starting this week so keep in mind that it will not be open for use (bathrooms, snacks, etc.) so plan ahead. The trailhead will still be open.

Thanks,

Craig

stompmachine

Hey everyone! This is Jaime Bernard. My wife and I will be joining you for the day. My cell is 7815480435.

My email is thehedgecrickets@gmail.com

Both are best for contact.

Looking forward to it!

Nik Groleau

Hi Nik Groleau here. I can’t wait for this hike. Anything I can do to help out please let me know. My phone is 6033251661. I am hoping to camp out the night before at the lost river campground if anyone else wants to join. Happy trails.

Craig_Hanson

Sounds like most everyone is on board. We will be flying an American flag flown by the coast guard. If everyone could please meet at the above mentioned trailhead at 7:30 we can group up and hike up. If anyone doesn’t make it in time please feel free to follow up the planned route and catch us or join us at the summit.

I have constructed a wooden flag pole that we will carry up. People can take turns if they wish. Then we can cut it into smaller pieces when we are done for easy descent.

feel free to contact me at craighanson86@gmail.com with any questions.

Craig

Nif

The foolscout crew will be at the ravine lodge at the trailhead at 7:30 as well. Russ will have his collapsible flag pole and other supplies from past flags events along as well.

We should see you there. If you want to contact the head fool directly his e-mail is Russell.L.Fisk@gmail.com

He is having issues logging onto flags site directly at the moment….

SilentCal

Russ will have his poles, I am picking them up in concord tomorrow.

Craig_Hanson

Nif and Silent Cal,

This is the first ive heard from you guys. I went through creating a lodge pole flag pole and have an American flag that has been flying at cape Elizabeth coast guard station.

Questions for you:
                            1-You all have done this before and this is my first time. Are the supplies you are bringing a set that you have used before and would mean a lot to you to use again?? because I don’t want to step on any toes if you have been part of this tradition longer than I.

2-Would you rather use what I built? If not I understand, I just didn’t know anyone else was planning on bringing stuff until today 2 days before the 11th.

3-it looks like its going to be VERY windy up top. The pole I created is a 14 foot green maple 2.5 inches in diameter and should be very strong in the wind, however its never been tested. Does your set up work in high winds?

Sorry for all the questions, I just want to be sensitive to what everyone in the group wants to do and I didn’t know about these other plans until now.

Please let me know. I look forward to meeting you all and being a part of this on Sunday.

Best,

Craig Hanson

Craig_Hanson

We might as well bring each set up and just decide at the trailhead. You guys have done it almost every year so I am interested to learn the best way.

Craig

Sherpa Tom

Craig, you have been a great “newbie’ addition. Good luck and be safe.

Craig_Hanson

Saw a fb post that the pole for foolscouts has been delivered so we can use that one. Going to be a great time! Windy!!

Craig

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.