Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • Author
      #47331 |

My wife and 2 boys will be with me so I’m looking at a fairly early start for this short hike. Due to the number of people coming I thought it might make sense to meet at the Highland Center and hike from there or car-pool to the parking.

This is my first year on “Flags on the 48”, so I am open for suggestions. Also let me know if you have a special flag and rig to bring or if I need to get that going.

Thanks, Chip

:flag:

bobandgeri

Chip – you need to do your won flag/pole thing. Check out the gallery for photos of past years. In 2003 we had a 15 foot pole with a 6×9 flag. It was fairly easy to make use of the summit sign to assist in supporting it with guy ropes tied to rocks/branches. Let us know if you have any questions.

SilentCal

Also check out the Flagpoles and Flags section. Many good ideas there. PVC pipe is the most commonly used pole. Pay attention to the weight of your flag. High winds with a heavy flag may compromise your system. Test it in the backyard.

At least you won’t have to work too hard to get a flag visible from Jackson’s summit.

Good Luck Chip!

chip

I was thinking gram, Peter, John Messinger, Jerry Walleston, RPW, TLW, SDM or KEM, who are also on Jackson might have a rig already. Not a problem if it’s my responsibility, I’ll get on it.

tfr

Chip’s comments about parking lead me to wonder if parking will be an issue from Crawford Notch, since there are a lot of peaks in that area.

???

tfr

Btw, Chip, don’t mess around up there, we’ll be watching!

http://home.hvc.rr.com/trankin/IMG_2892.JPG

๐Ÿ˜€ ๐Ÿ˜€ ๐Ÿ˜€ ๐Ÿ˜€

SilentCal

I do know the Pierce scouting group is staying at Mizpah Hut on Saturday night. That might make parking not so bad. Then again, if the weather is great, parking lots will fill fast.

TrekMan

@tfr wrote:

Chip’s comments about parking lead me to wonder if parking will be an issue from Crawford Notch, since there are a lot of peaks in that area.

???

Mt Clinton Road parking lot just across from the Highland Center has many spaces, and remember we are after Labor Day. Otherwise, down toward the Depot there are many parking spaces next to 302.

gram

Hello Team Jackson โ€“ โ€œgram and Peterโ€ are checking in.

Chip, donโ€™t be concerned about the rigging just yet. Weโ€™ll all help out.

As a matter of fact, my husband and I did Pierce last year and met a great group of people on the team. I believe some of those folks are signed up for Jackson this year. Our team leader had a terrific system of rigging. While I donโ€™t know if they would be able to bring the flag again, they can certainly offer their guidance as to what we need.

Note to Jerry and company โ€“ looking forward to seeing you all this year. Unfortunately Matthew, now almost two will not be joining us. But itโ€™s because of a happy event โ€“ his mom is expecting and will be 8 months pregnant on Sept 9!

Chip, nice to hear that you will be bringing your sons. This is a great event to get kids involved in. How old are they?

Regards to all –

chip

Gram, sounds good. I can buy a flag and the gear but if someone has a pole system rigged already – why give Home Depot any more $ ๐Ÿ™‚ .

My boys are 9 1/2 and 11 and have been doing some backpacking with me down here, but nothing more major than the CT “high peaks”. My wife is also joining us. We are booked in a “kabin” friday and saturday nights at the Woodstock KOA as of now, so hopefully that’s a meeting place.

TrekMan

Chip,

I have done the FOT-48 now for 2 years – Wildcat D and then Moriah. Check my flagpole comments in the forum topic for flags & poles – metal conduit 20-footer not as heavy as you might think. All packs in a backpack and does well with a 6×10 flag. Check the pics of Moriah from last year on this website. Last year we bought some parachute cord at EMS that worked very well, not bulky but good and strong. Let me know if you want some good pics of the rigging etc. I will be glad to share.

-TrekMan

P.S. 6×10 flag was only about $50.

Chris

@TrekMan wrote:

… P.S. 6×10 flag was only about $50.

Where did you find a flag that big for only $50?

chip

– there’s a 6×10 for $50 here http://www.united-states-flag.com/us610spc.html

TrekMan

@Chris wrote:

@TrekMan wrote:

… P.S. 6×10 flag was only about $50.

Where did you find a flag that big for only $50?

That’s the place I got it Chris, I forget what the shipping was. Good flag though and it flew well in a small breeze. Check Moriah pics from last year.

-Trekman

tfr

@chip wrote:

We are booked in a “kabin” friday and saturday nights at the Woodstock KOA as of now, so hopefully that’s a meeting place.

Laurie and I are booked in a ‘Kabin’ as well. We’d better be careful, we might finally meet each other! :beer: ๐Ÿ˜€ :beer:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
                                • The forum ‘2006 Trips & Routes’ is closed to new topics and replies.