Forums 2008 Flags on the 48 2008 Planning Meeting Ideas for 2008

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
      #47619 |

Please post ideas, thoughts, praise, complaints etc here. Remember, the event can only improve if we know what we do well and what we can improve.

Thanks!
      Chris
      :flag:

nopepr

Hey Everyone,

Last year was my first year and this year I’m looking forward to the event and recruiting people from work. I’d like to get 10-15 of us and be able to pick a couple of peaks we can see each other from when the flags fly.

My idea for this year is to honor not only those that fell on sept 11th but those that are falling every day fighting for our freedom. I am going to choose a soldier that was killed in the fight for freedom and I’m going to honor the friends I have in harms way. I will search for a fallen soldier, someone forgotten from a few years ago and I will contact that family to let them know we haven’t forgotten. When I fly the flag I will also have a photo of myslf with a photo of the hero I honor. Anyone is free to join me in this quest.

Nopepr
        2007 Mt Twin North

Jaytrek57

nopepr…

I think it is great whatever path you choose to particpate in this event.

The core of FOT48 is to remember that tragic day and all the victims, families and how we as a community (hiking)may, in our own way, take time out of our lives to remember that horrific day.

For me it is about that day.

Peace.

pedxing

I’m planning to take one of the peaks with disabled access (Cannon, Washington, Wildcat D) and organize a group of Burn Survivors. A number of burn survivors – both hikers and non-hikers have expressed interest. We probably wouldn’t take Washington, since the auto-road and the cog cost a lot of money.

We’d like to do something to remember the firefighters who died on 9/11/08. Since learning how much this event meant to those who lost people on 9/11, this event has taken on extra significance to me. I hope to contact some people involved with fallen fire-fighters to help figure out what would make the best tribute.

I’m also looking for good ways to publciize this – as publicity will help show that the losses are remembered.

blueblaze

I am looking forward to taking part in this wonderful day. Last year we had prior committments that could not be switched so I missed out. I also would like to attempt a route with disabled access! My girlfriend is paralyzed from the knees down (T12-L1) and is currently taking part in a program called Project Walk. There goal is to have her and all that go through there program to walk one day. Two months and she has gone from squatting 25lbs to 110lbs on her own! Anyway…I would like to get a group of friends from that program and trainers involved!

Looking forward to more info!

pedxing

Sounds great. While the focus remains on remembering 9/11/01 and all lost that day, I think those of us who have had to struggle to walk again or know people who are struggling have a special appreciation of what it means to be out in the mountains.

Your girlfriend’s struggle seems to be longer and harder than mine, but every once in a while being able to hike is a thrill in itself. Good luck to both of you. It seems as if she is giving the process an awesome amount of effort.

blueblaze

Our only goal is to have as many people as we can honor those who have given there lives on that day! That is the ONLY focus. We thought it would be a great way to get some of our friends together that cant hike the mountains even though in there hearts and minds they wish they could. 😀 We look forward to sharing that day with those who care. With those that have there own struggles yet perservere to honor our fallen heroes!

pedxing

I think its great that you are supporting this event, and that you are supporting and involving your girl friend.

blueblaze

Any idea on the date for the planning meeting?

pedxing

Hopefully your question will generate some an answer from the folks who will be scheduling (or have scheduled the meeting). I think its usually been late May or early June.

Long winded way of saying: I don’t know.

SilentCal

A planning meeting may or may not happen. We are still waiting for some votes from other steering committee members.

But for certain, the event is going to be held September 13th which is a Saturday.

BlueBlaze and Pedxing: I really like both of your ideas and I’ll do what I can to make sure you get a peak that can fit your ideas. Realize, that while Mt. Washington does have an Auto Road, the weather there can be downright awful at times so please plan for that.

Any Questions, just send me a pm

pedxing

Thanks Cal!

SilentCal

In years past, When the Flags on the 48 event was created and beginning to grow to what it is today, a planning meeting/gathering was held in late spring. These meetings were held at the Hancock Campground and as well as the KOA campground in Woodstock. From these meetings came a host of improvements to the event. The Website, the signup process, the post-gatherings come to mind. Since these past meetings have been so successful to shape the event, it has been decided that there will be no planning meeting this year. It has been decided that the signup date will be Monday, July 14th at 6:00 p.m. The Flags event will indeed still be on September 13th, 2008. Actually the event is planned out until 2016 so I think we are a little ahead of the curve.

Thank you everyone for your help in the past to make Flags what it is today. :flag:

Chris

We can change this thread to be a virtual Planning Meeting, in case anyone wants to post ideas.

TrekMan

Thanks guys, our team is already getting antsy about going again and planning for the date. We should be ready for signup on 7-14 at 6:00 p.m. too … worked well last year I think.
                                  More homebrew this year again? :beer:
                                  -TrekMan

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
                                • The forum ‘2008 Planning Meeting’ is closed to new topics and replies.