Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
      #47971 |

Hey guys and gals. For the Hancock hike we are meeting at the Hancock Overlook lot(hairpin turn) on the Kanc. Meeting at 8:00 in the lot, hitting the trail at 8:15. Route to summit of Hancock is 4.3mi going up Hancock Notch to Cedar Brook to Hancock Loop Trail. Planing on looping over south peak on return trip.

I have all the flag equipment and we are bringing along a small grill to cook freedom dogs up top. See you up top.

Eric

BanjoChris

Hi Eric,

I’m looking forward to the hike, I love the Hancock Loop hike. Is there anything you want us to bring?

Chris

MichaelJ

My fingers are crossed that the Kanc will be reopened by 9/11 for you. Keep an eye on http://www.nh.gov/dot/511/

hikebikeski

Yeah im hoping the kanc will be open by then. i wonder is its open to bicycles or bike foot. besides the kanc and sawyer river road, there is not really any other feasible route…

Berkshire Geoff

We can drive as far as the Discovery center, looks like 2 miles or so to the hairpin turn walking up the road

SilentCal

The Steering Commitee is looking into moving the hikers on North and South Hancock to another peak that we do not usually cover. If you guys would like to still do the roadwalk, that is fine. However the option is open if you would like to move to one of these peaks:

Mt Clay
                Mt. Franklin
                North Lafayette
                Adams 4 or 5 or JQ
                Sandwich Dome

Welch and Dickey

MidState

I was not planning on leading so I do not have the flag and poles, but I could take either Sandwich Dome or Welch-Dickey (assuming I could get my hands on two sets). Just put me where ever works best for you guys.

Eric

BanjoChris

I’m flexible, but I don’t mind the hike up the Kanc to get to the trailhead…would be a shame to miss two peaks on the 10th anniversary.

That being said, I don’t have a flag and I’m open to the groups desires.

Chris

New Hampshire

It is good to have a plan B, but I would not count out the road reopening just yet. We still have a few days for them to get at least to the hair pin turn open, so cross your fingers. 8)

Brian

hikebikeski

Hey guys, this damn storm has made things difficult. unless the Kanc opens to the hairpin turn i would like to change my peak to Clay. on the NH DOT website it says that barricaded roads are closed to bikes and pedestrians. i dont want to get to the barricade at 6 in the morning to be told we can not pass.

Plan A: For the Hancock hike we are meeting at the Hancock Overlook lot(hairpin turn) on the Kanc. Meeting at 8:00 in the lot, hitting the trail at 8:15. Route to summit of Hancock is 4.3mi going up Hancock Notch to Cedar Brook to Hancock Loop Trail. Planing on looping over south peak on return trip.

Plan B (if kanc is closed to hairpin turn) Mt. Clay: Meet at Cog Railroad Parking lot at 7:00am, on the trail by 7:15. Jewel trail up to Mt. Clay.

if anyone has questions or comments contact me on the forum or at ericmdolce at yahoo.com

Eric

SilentCal

I plan to go and check the kanc from time to time this week to see for myself as I am up here on vacation.

Since you are the first to request Clay, it’s yours if the Hancocks prove to be a no-go.

However if it is open to the Kanc hairpin, I have not heard from the South Hancock group yet, so I am wondering if you can run a small flag there.

Yeah, this storm has thrown an unforeseen monkey wrench into the works, but we’ll get around it.

I’ll keep you posted here. :flag:

hikebikeski

Silentcal. If the hancocks are open then my flag will be on Handcock. Have you tried to contact the south handcock team?

rocket21

I have heard from 3 separate and reliable sources that foot traffic is not allowed on the closed portion of the Kanc.

MichaelJ

We are well aware of that. Our hope is that the closed portion will be reduced during the course of this week so that there is open access to the Hancock Trailhead.

BanjoChris

Clay sounds good if we can’t get to Hancock. I’ve never done the Jewel trail.

I know 302 is closed in sections, do we have to approach from the east or west to get to the Cog?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
                                • The forum ‘2011 Trips & Routes’ is closed to new topics and replies.