Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
      #61428 |

Fellow Hikers,

Another year we continue to remember and honor our 9/11 heroes by flying our American flags on all the highest peaks in New Hampshire….

This year we have chosen Mt. Flume to hike and raise the flag on Saturday, September 9, 2017. Mount Flume is the most southern peak on the Franconia Ridge and its summit elevation is 4,328 feet. The summit is open and can be narrow and rocky in places. The summit offers magnificent views of Franconia Notch and the Pemigewasset Wilderness. I hope everyone can make – hopefully this year it will be a little drier than last year.

Below is information about the hike, where we can meet and directions to the trail head. (note other hike option below)

The hike up Mount Flume via the Lincoln Woods trail, Osseo trail and Franconia Ridge trail is 5.6 miles and has an elevation gain of 3,150 feet and should take us approximately 4 hours to reach the summit.

The AMC guide book describes it as a Moderate hike with good footing. The summit is exposed and can be very windy. I would recommend you bring an extra top to change into at the top, warm clothes, food and water. The whole hike should take us 9.5 hours; 4 up, 2 hours flying the flag, 3.5 hours back down. Please plan accordingly.

As in the past we will be meeting at the McDonald’s in Lincoln NH, on route 112, exit 32 off route 93. We should plan on meeting there at 6:50 and leaving for the trailhead around 7:10. It should only take us 15 minutes to get to the trailhead at the Lincoln Woods information center off of route 112 (Kancamagus HWY).

If you plan on going directly to the trailhead – The trailhead is located at the Lincoln Woods information center on Route 112 (Kancamagus HWY). Take Exit 32 off of 93, left onto the Kancamagus HWY; go past McDonald’s, it’s 5.6 miles on your left. Look for Lincoln Woods trailhead sign (it’s the trail that goes over the suspension bridge).

Other Hiking Option!

There is another hiking option to the Flume summit – this would be the Liberty Springs trail to Franconia Ridge trail. This will take you over the summit of Mount Liberty. This is a more difficult hike, but the distance is shorter; 4.2 miles and the time would be a little less than 4 hours. The trailhead is located a little north of the Flume Visitor Center off of 93 north, a short drive from McDonalds. Feel free to consider this hike if you like.

I will have further info and updates that I will send out as we get closer to the date. If you have questions don’t hesitate to call or send me a note.

Dave

David Cormier

Team Davey

Great Post ! Looking forward to it!

epurmort

Looking forward to tomorrow, thanks for the detailed post.

Emily

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.