Forums 2004 FOT48 Information Archive 2004 Post-Event Gathering celebrating after flags on the 48 ?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
      #46732 |

looking forward to joining the gang for “flags on the 48” day

do we have plans for meeting up afterwards ?

i’d like to meet up with folks to place faces to names we see here and on vftt – hiking friends we’ve met through these sites have been pretty cool

somewhere in woodstock or conway, maybe ? open to suggestions

:beer:

Greg

It would be neat to meet up with everyone. However, we’re basecamping in the Great Gulf Friday and Saturday night. Making a weekend out of the event! So, unfortunately (or fortunately), we’ll still be in the woods. 😉

MARI

HI! We will be doing Cannon MT. on the 14th, and I for one would enjoy meeting up afterward to “cap off” the day’s events. Maybe people chose a good centrally located place, this could be accomplished. Anyone participating could go if they like, but shouldn’t feel they have to. Any suggestions? Woodstock Inn/Brewery? I suppose we should consider ‘large scale’. Count me in. :beer:

Frodo

I think that it is a great idea to try and meet up afterwards, though the logistics will be difficult for most. Some peaks take a few hours to climb, some take all day, and for the backpackers, several days. Also people participating come from all directions, and will be heading back in all directions. If you want to try and establish a place, pick something like the Woodstock Inn (Mari’s suggestion), where at least 1/2 of the supporters can reasonably have access to (they also have some awesome home brew, or as Homer Simpson would say, MMMMM Beeeerrrrr)…. Someone should also establish a meeting place on the East side, maybe Gorham, N. Conway or Conway?

Max

I’ll be coming off Carter Dome and will be statying over in North Conway for Saturday night with my wife. If there were plans to meet somewhere in the vicinity for beer, pizza, whatever, we’re pretty flexible. She’s not a hiker, but won’t say “NO” to pizza! 😆

Max

MARI

When all is said and done, I for one will be at Woodstock Inn for a cold brew. I beleive the rest of my group will probably opt for that as well. Look for us..I will wear a T-shirt of my school colors – red/white and blue! See you late in the day! 🙂

TenPeaks

Mari – I’ll be doing East Osceola with my wife and just may join you at the Woodstock Inn afterwards. I don’t know what I’ll be wearing, but I’ll have a beer or two in my hands. :beer:

Hope to see you and other flag carriers there.

pedxing

I may drop by the Woodstock Inn on my return trip from the Hancocks if my “crew” (a friend, and my sons if I manage to drag ’em along) decides not to stay in the mountains Saturday night. The Inn is a good idea for a gathering place.

I’m tempted to suggest that we should all descend on RJs place, but he’s a really nice guy and has done nothing to deserve having hordes of celebrating hikers swarming all over his place. (j/k RJ)

Frodo

I am also planning on heading to the Woodstock Inn Brewrey. Since it will be on a Saturday evening/night, = lots of patrons, I suggest that people wear something “flag” orientated (seems appropriate), so we can identify each other. From what Mari mentioned (red, white, and blue shirt), a flag pin on their shirt, a small flag, flag bumper sticker on your back, Uncle Sam costume (bet you are real drunk if you do this one) Hey MJ, 50 bucks if you do it…… Another location should be established for the Rt 16 area hikers. Any suggestions?

RJ

To be honest pedxing, if I were to be in NH that weekend I would be more than happy to host everyone. As the fates would have it, I am attending a wedding that Saturday in CT so I cannot participate in the event. I’ve tried everything short of extortion to get out of going, but my wife and my friend who is getting married would be extremely hurt if I didn’t show up.

I have participated in a small way by working with Greg to receive the e-mails of participants and to add them to an Excel file, which I then e-mail to Greg for posting on his page. By doing this, I feel that I am least part of the event, even though I cannot climb one of the mountains on that day.

Needless to say, I am not a happy camper about the way things have turned out.

p.s. The offer to stay on my land still holds.

Greg

@RJ wrote:

By doing this, I feel that I am least part of the event, even though I cannot climb one of the mountains on that day.

Bummer RJ. And YES, you have most definitely been an integral part of the event. We all appreciate it. Hopefully, we’ll get a lot of images to post in the gallery after the event. I’ll have my digital loaded with 80MB of memory to document the views from Madison! 🙂

RJ

Thanks Greg, I really appreciate that. Every time I post a name to a mountain my heart would sink a little knowing that I could not participate.

I’ve tried to point out to my friend the advantages of eloping, but his bridge for some strange reason wants a “real” wedding. Win some, lose some.

Max

Too bad they couldn’t have been convinced to get married on a 4000 footer…you could have had it covered both ways!

Thanks guys for putting this together. I’ll have some pics from Carter Dome (hopefully a nice shot from Mt. Hight too).

Max

pedxing

RJ: Tell the newlyweds that their marriage better last awhile! They owe it to you now.

BTW: Y’all (especially you, Greg and Frodo) did a great job with this. I’ll just be putting one flag on a mountain… you put lots of them on.

SilentCal

Super great Job. All we need now is for a great day weatherwise. Temps in the 70’s and with just enough of a breeze to get these flags extended so they can be seen. Hope to see many of you at the Inn Afterwards :beer:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
                                • The topic ‘celebrating after flags on the 48 ?’ is closed to new replies.