Forums 2005 Flags on the 48 2005 Trips & Routes BONDCLIFF The Immaculate

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
      #47132 |

Guaranteed for the raising of Old Glory on Bondcliff are Myself, Sherpette (Sarah) and Lendawg! We are all VERY excited to finally be a part of this wonderful event. Most of you know of my flag carrying tradition for the last 13 years up Mount Washington. I’m more than proud to add this to my list of flag bearing trips.

Now.. the trip.

We’ll be spotting cars one at Lincoln woods and the other from our starting point on the closed Zealand Road. We’ll then be going over Hale then to Zealand and ending our Day (9/10) by setting up shop at Guyot tentsite.

Then 9/11.. we’ll be traversing the bonds before setting up our perch on Bondcliff for the finale, then we’ll make the long trek out to Lincoln Woods.

ALL ARE WELCOME TO JOIN and PLEASE DO!

SJ :flag:

MichaelJ

Just make sure to get to Guyot early enough to get space on a platform or in the shelter, while not leaving poor Sarah behind on the ridge somewhere. 🙂

SilentCal

Sherpa, Learn from a friend of ours. Jet ahead to Guyot, set up the tents, then go back to Sarah and LenDawg and take her pack. That’s the gentlemanly thing to do.. :flag:

Fat Guy

Well, I was thought about going in Zealand and out Lincoln Woods, but I am sure the Guyot site will be full. A few of my friends may be coming along also so will most likely come in/out from Lincoln Woods trail. (AKA The Long and Boring Trail)

It will be nice to do the Flag on the 48 “officialy” this year. Had a great time meeting the folks on Zealand last year.
            Fat Guy

MichaelJ

Guyot holds quite a few – you can double the tents on each plaform, the shelter has plenty of room, and the caretaker has a number of overflow sites available to put people in. If you think you can get there by late afternoon, I’d still try for the overnight.

Fat Guy

I will decide whether to do a 1 or 2 day trek when I know what the weather will be. I need Guyot and all the Bonds for the 4000’er club. Right now it is up the air which route I will take.
                Fat Guy.

SilentCal

Fat Guy, I know Dirt Girl from Zealand will be hiking into Guyot on Saturday from Lincoln Woods if you need someone to hike with. You can post under the Zealand peak if you wish to reach her.

Sherpa John

Even though Zealand rd is to be closed… We’ll be heading in from Rte 3.. going up the rd.. over Hale.. and hitting zealand before reaching Guyot.. feel free to join us!

SJ :flag:

dirt_girl

Awesome! Thanks SherpaJohn! :flag:
                      Forewarning the care taker at Guyot seems like a good idea. 😮
                      I am hoping our tribe will be there by 2pm on Saturday…
                      …think this is early enough to get a tent site?

dirt_girl

Sherpa John

I would like to say that that maybe cutting it close. I guess we’ll have to see.

dirt_girl

Hummm.. might be arriving at more like 3ish. Call it living on the edge. 😮
                          Does cutting it close mean no over flow site either? Wouldn’t be fair to save sites would it? 👿

dirt_girl

Sherpa John

Last I knew the flow over sites are used as a LAST resort.. as in.. shelter full to the max as well as all tent platforms with 2 tents to a platform.

Guess we’ll see
                            :beer:

Fat Guy

So if I get to Guyot site and it is REALLY late, what is their policy? Can you camp >200 feet from the trail or ? I am still debating if I am going to do an overnighter even if the weather is good.
                              Fat Guy

Slowly I hiked, step by step.

MichaelJ

There’s a pretty good deal of overflow space up on the ridge (just don’t pee in the watershed). As for policy? The caretaker will do his or her best to find you space. This includes multiple tents per platform or overflow site. There may also be space in the shelter itself for one person. I’m inclined to say that somebody will find you something, though I certainly can’t promise it.

I think Guyot is in a protection area like all the other major sites, meaning you’ll have to be 1/4 mile away and then 200′ off-trail. Generally, that means there are a few sites just outside that 1/4 mile boundary, and the only hardship is a long walk to get your water.

Magic? You know that area far better than I do … any comment?

Fat Guy

Plans change, now it looks like a day hike to Bondcliff on Sunday. I am going to try to get to Lincoln Woods trail head at or just after day break.

Fat Guy

Slowly I hiked, step by step . . .

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
                                • The forum ‘2005 Trips & Routes’ is closed to new topics and replies.