Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
      #47598 |

Typically we all sit here and read the many “trip reports” in regards to our peers travels to the top of one of the 48 peaks. Their journey is depicted from start to finish… specific attention is given to every fine detail pertaining to their travels. And typically I would be one of the ones to join in the fun, writing add-nauseum telling you about my 9th journey to the Summit’s of Mounts Bond and Bondcliff. But the journey never changes much… and this event isn’t about MY trip to the top of a mountain… its entirely about WHY I went where I went.

On September 11th, 2001, unthinkable events took place on our great nation. These events became a catalist for battles later fought.

At 8:46 a.m. local time, American Airlines Flight 11, a Boeing 767 wide-body aircraft, crashed into the northern side of the North Tower of the World Trade Center.

United Airlines Flight 175, a Boeing 767, crashed into the South Tower at 9:02:59 a.m. local time, an event covered live by television broadcasters and amateur filmers from around the world who had their cameras trained on the buildings after the earlier crash.

American Airlines Flight 77, a Boeing 757, crashed into the Pentagon at 9:37:46 a.m. local time.

United Airlines Flight 93, a Boeing 757, crashed in a field in southwest Pennsylvania just outside of Shanksville, about 150 miles northwest of Washington, D.C., at 10:03:11 a.m. local time. The crash in Pennsylvania resulted from the passengers of the airliner attempting to regain control from the hijackers.

There were 2,974 fatalities, not including the 19 hijackers: 246 on the four planes (no one on board any of the hijacked aircraft survived), 2,603 in New York City in the towers and on the ground, and 125 at the Pentagon. Among the fatalities were 343 New York City Fire Department firefighters, 23 New York City Police Department officers, and 37 Port Authority Police Department officers. Lieutenant General Timothy Maude was the highest ranking person killed at the Pentagon and John P. O’Neill was a former assistant director of the FBI who assisted in the capture of Ramzi Yousef and was the head of security at the World Trade Center when he was killed trying to rescue people from the South Tower. An additional 24 people remain listed as missing.

On Saturday, September 9, 2007; I remain a proud american provided with the freedom to fly an American flag in honor of those whose lives were lost. My flag flew proudly from the summit of Mount Bond 4,698 feet above sea level.

I also flew a second flag below Old Glory, a flag signifying Global Unity. Many nations were affected by the events on 9/11/01 and they should all be remembered and recognized. I didn’t take a “trip” this weekend… I remembered.

God Bless.

(Pictures in the Gallery)

mtnpa

Americans were not the only victims. This was an attack on citizens of the world. It should not be forgotten.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
      • The forum ‘2007 Trip Reports’ is closed to new topics and replies.