Forums 2004 FOT48 Information Archive 2004 Planning Meeting Agenda for get-together

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • Author

Ok… nothing has been posted in two weeks (just not right IMHO! 😉 ) so here it goes.

Just my feeling on this…but….I think it might be appropriate to discuss at the “planning” weekend/day…the appropriateness (god bless spellcheck!) of the level of political discourse in regards to FOT48.

First, it is an election year, and again IMHO, and FWIW (more acroynms please) it is irrelevent to the event itself…although I can see threads/discourse perhaps going off tangent here…particularly…if people with a vested/long time/short time? interest in this event veer in that direction.

Second…well I have no second…just thinking off the top of my head and perhaps my first is irrelevent? 😮

Peace.

Stephen

@Jaytrek57 wrote:

Ok… nothing has been posted in two weeks (just not right IMHO! 😉 ) so here it goes.

Just my feeling on this…but….I think it might be appropriate to discuss at the “planning” weekend/day…the appropriateness (god bless spellcheck!) of the level of political discourse in regards to FOT48.

First, it is an election year, and again IMHO, and FWIW (more acroynms please) it is irrelevent to the event itself…although I can see threads/discourse perhaps going off tangent here…particularly…if people with a vested/long time/short time? interest in this event veer in that direction.

Second…well I have no second…just thinking off the top of my head and perhaps my first is irrelevent? 😮

Peace.

I think it is a very good thought.

I’m guessing that we take it as it comes. The mission statement for FOT48 addresses the political nature (or lack thereof) of the event. If the tangent occurs, then I’d propose re-iterating the mission statement, and, if the tangent continues, locking the thread with a reference to our desire to stick to the mission.

My $.02

-T

Chris

Ahhh, wisdom prevails! IMHO, this event has everything to do with partiotism and nationalism, and nothing whatsoever to do with the political system through which we suffer… I mean govern.

😀

MtnMagic

I thought we were to discuss all these points on Saturday afternoon. I wonder if we can answer all of the topic listed in a couple of hours on Saturday night. What are your feelings, when should we discuss this?

SilentCal

I’m sure we’ll be constantly kicking ideas around all weekend. If it’s really nice out saturday, I’d like to hike and then get back to the campground by five and start the main focus meeting. Sound okay?

MtnMagic

Sounds good to me. Especially that you are bringing your grill up. I’m bringing some firewood. Anyone that can should add some wood to the fire. It’ll sure help keep the bugs away.

Greg

I think 5 PM is fine. I hope to do the Franconia Loop Saturday. I’m aiming to get to the trailhead at 9 AM and expect to be done by 3 PM which will give me 90 minutes to get to Hancock and set up before a 5 PM meeting. Sounds reasonable to me. After getting up at 4 AM and hiking Franconia Ridge, I’ll probably be ready to crash by 10 PM, but I think a number of hours in front of the campfire would suffice to discuss what’s been outlined here. Just MO.

smitty77

Greg,

I assume you’re not bringing the little one?

I’m still not sure if I’ll be able to attend, but am certainly trying to keep that weekend open.

smitty77

Hey – “I’m a little flagpole, short and shout…”

Gotta pad my ranking. :flag:

Stephen

Hey all… I know I’ve been strangely silent on this for a while… things are busy now and putting my mind to this hasn’t been easy…

1) We should keep it simple. We weren’t too far off last year. If we can have 5 groups of experienced hikers hold off as the “on-call” team and scoop up the last peaks during the last week of the event, we should hit full coverage.

2) Keep the accessable 3 (Washington, Cannon, Wildcat) in reserve for groups/persons that are hiking challenged. Have interested parties describe why they should be the ones to do these three (handicapped, kids, etc…). First reasonable “story” gets assigned for each.

3) As long as people are willing to accept that not every idea of theirs is going to be accepted and we avoid long circular discussions, we should be fine with 2-4 hours in the evening of discussion to accomplish everything. The basic infrastructure of registrations and assignments needs to be decided on by the end of the evening, as that gives me one week to complete the turnaround before the grand opening announcement on July 4.

4) Given all this, IMHO I see the main things to discuss that night, in order of importance:
                        – assigning peaks
                        – reserve accessable peaks
                        – on-call teams
                        – registration forms/process
                        – site redesign
                        – Press Releases

Everything else becomes icing. And beer. Nuts. need the beer emoticon…

-Stephen

MtnMagic

T, I am in full agreement with your 4 points. Did you mention we can drink beer from our ice coolers and discuss the simple agenda around a campfire. Now that sounds like a great idea.

Oh, Max works nights. He wanted to know if we can drink beer in the morning. I’m drinking water and going hiking!

I received a message that Pedxing might visit during the afternoon. Wouldn’t that be super! We have a lot in common and lots to talk about. Cal and I are saving extra sites for those who are still uncommitted to the weekend. You readers are certainly welcome to join in.

Greg

@smitty77 wrote:

I assume you’re not bringing the little one?

Nope. Just me, and perhaps my friend Joe (Stephen knows him coincidentally).

I think the items Stephen suggested for discussion are perfect. The value of just shaking hands and meeting some of you finally will help solidify the future planning. Much of it will be better suited online anyway.

So…who else is up for Franc Loop? 😉 And looks like I should bring plenty of Heinekens (and the guitar?)…

Stephen

I have made a sticky topic on each of the primary agenda items that need to be decided at the meeting. This will allow us a chance to have all the background info covered by the time we get to the meeting a month from now, and should speed the discussion some, so we can get down to other matters…

:flag: :beer: :beer: :flag:

-Stephen

SilentCal

Magic and I will try to get some big sites. While the board shows nine people so far, I think we may have some folks surprise us for the meeting. No Problem with that. We’ve had great success over the doing this over the Internet and I don’t think the meeting will be all that long. Sure we have a bit to disscuss but It’s about something we all enjoy and care about so I’m sure time will fly.
                                Just sit me down next to my cooler of Molsons…….. :beer: :flag:

Greg

Just a quick follow-up on the actual “meeting” agenda. I don’t want to get in the way of everyone swilling their brew, but we should have someone taking meeting “minutes” just so all our thoughts are organized. Stephen – will you bring the initial agenda outline for us to work from? Some of the items like the site redesign/registration system is in fact almost complete.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
                                • The topic ‘Agenda for get-together’ is closed to new replies.