Forums 2017 Flags on the 48 2017 Sign Ups and Status 2017 Q+A about signups

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
      #48486 |

One week until sign ups. Please take a moment to read through the Q and A below.

Q: What is the role of the Peak Coordinator?
      A: If you are the first person signed up for a peak, you are the de facto Peak Cooridinator. You are asked to do the following:
      1. Please post your route in the “Trips and Routes” folder. This begins the conversation with the rest of those that have signed up for your peak. Others will inquire about what assistance they can do, what time to meet, etc.
      2. You are responsible for getting a flag to the peak to fly from noon to 2:00pm. Anytime more than that is optional. We understand that inclement weather may change that timeframe. Please do what is safe for your party.
      3. Please send along a confirmation after the event that the flag made it and please post pics to the gallery on the main website.

Q: I wanted to be a peak coordinator for

peak, someone else is, what can I do?
      A. Join and help them! This event is about bringing people together. I, personally, have made countless friends with this event just by meeting folks at the summit. More than one flag is okay for all the summits.

Q: Can I be put on stand-by status in case someone backs out as a peak coordinator?
      A: Yes, but usually, we will offer the peak to others that are signed up for that peak first?

Q: Is there a cancelation date?
      A: No, This is a rain or shine event. The Thursday before the event, I will post a weather update of what to expect. Hiking above tree line in foul weather is only for the very prepared. Lightening and flash floods are not our friends and I do not wish for anyone to risk injury with this.
      The post will contain instructions on what to do if you feel it is unsafe to hike.

Q: How big does our flag need to be?
      A: Whatever you feel safe to fly. One of the hidden perks of the event is seeing flags raised on other peaks. My flag is a standard 6×8 flag and it’s been seen from a couple miles away.

Q: When will you expand the event for other peaks?
      A: Likely, never. Maybe for the 20th anniversary, I may try to pull a rabbit out of a hat and do something out of the box, But for now, 48 is the magic number. We do accept pictures of flags on other peaks in the gallery.

Q: Why do you not pass out emails for the peak coordinators so I can contact them.
      A: Simply, we respect people’s privacy. Also, in the early years of Flags, We had a sex offender following kids groups around so it is a pretty easy decision to go this route.

Please remember to register on the main website before August 7th.

tfr

Does every single person have to register and sign up in my party, or can I do that for them?

Duriga

My son and I would like to participate (he is 13 yrs old). Does he need to sign up? Or do I put Me + 1?

Chris

Hi Duriga,

Since he’s 13 he is old enough (according to COPPA) to register for the site, so if that’s ok with you he can register on his own. If not, then we can figure something out.

Thanks,
            Chris

tfr

Still waiting for an answer to my question above….

JustJoe

From the first topic in this discussion. Chris….” We’re moving to a new format that requires you to be registered on the site in order to sign up.” This is a good thing IMO.

tfr

Sorry Joe, but I want to hear from the horse’s mouth.

I can’t believe all the people that a peak coordinator signed up in the past (kids, scouts, spouses, friends), ALL need to be registered now. And I highly doubt all those non-registered people will not attend…

If I am a peak coordinator (and I have been many times, not trying to be disrespectful, most of the organizers know me), I will post my route, times, and the other people who intend to hike with me. I think that covers the bases.

Hollyg

So to be clear, if I sign up as coordinator, can I sign up a group of hikers who want to do this together?

Chris

@HollyG,

No, each person will need to register and sign themselves up. We discourage people “hijacking” a peak by signing up for all 10 spots when they aren’t sure who will be participating. We’d prefer to only have actual commitments, so we don’t see peaks full (which discourages other hikers) when only a couple people will actually be there.

Thanks,
                      Chris

amberslam

Can someone link to the place where we can find out information/suggestions for flags and poles? I get the feeling I may be the de facto coordinator for my peak and want to start working on my flag now. Thank you for maintaining this memorial. Last year I passed several hikers carrying flags up and it really brought me back to exactly where I was on that day. I feel very honored to partake this year.

tfr

“We discourage people “hijacking” a peak by signing up for all 10 spots when they aren’t sure who will be participating. We’d prefer to only have actual commitments, so we don’t see peaks full (which discourages other hikers) when only a couple people will actually be there.”

So, like Osceola this year?

Epappalardo

I have gone on to this site multiple time to try and register and keep being unsuccessful. What’s the magic missing step?! HELP! I am trying to register myself and my hiking buddy for Lincoln, Lafayette, or Flume. I’m surprised that the site doesn’t display the email address of the peak coordinator so that we could just contact that person directly. In fact, how would that person even get the email addresses of the hikers who register? Can anyone help?

• This reply was modified 6 years, 8 months ago by Epappalardo.
                            tfr

As was stated above, there was a sex offender who was in this community, so not sharing emails became a policy then. If you do get signed up for a peak, there will be a link to email your coordinator. I’m not sure how they respond, as I tried to use the link but have not gotten a response.

In any case, if you still can’t get signed up, send a note to a coordinator with the exact error message or symptoms.

Epappalardo

Thanks for the reply and for calling my attention to the Q&A regarding the exchange of emails. Perhaps it’s no longer possible to officially register. Besides adding comments here, I don’t see another way to contact organizers or to sign up.

SilentCal

Amberslam: Check the forums under “General Discussion”. There is a folder there that discusses the topic of flags and flagpoles. You should find some ideas there. Most of the larger displays use PVC pipe.

Epappalardo: As long as a peak says that there is room, than you can sign up for a peak. When it says “0 left”. The space for that peak is full. When you do register, you will receive a confirmation email that should let you know how to contact the coordinator.

Tfr: Yes Tom, you are correct, like Osceola.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.