Forums Flags on the 48 Information General Discussion 2010: Dates to remember

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
      #47824 |

The dates to remember in 2010 will be:

Monday July 12th: 6:00 pm

> Signups will open
      Saturday September 11th: 12:00 to 2:00 pm –>The memorial

The following year in 2011, September 11th falls on a Sunday. This is the only time that the event is NOT held on a Saturday, when the 11th falls on a Sunday. That weekend will be the 10th anniversary and I’m hoping to maybe make it a weekend event. Nothing concrete yet.

Jaytrek57

I am all for a week-end event in 2011.

Jay

TrekMan

Week-end event meaning exactly what? I have always gone up there for the weekend.
          :flag:

SilentCal

By a weekend event, it could be any number of things. I’d actually like to see a mass gathering on the Saturday night at a campground. Personally, I never get the chance to thank about 50% of the people that take part. I’d like to correct that. Then again, some folks may want to fly flags on Saturday and Sunday.

Brian actually had a great idea that we talked about on our last hike. Mt. Liberty should get a good sized flag up for the whole weekend. From Saturday morning until Monday Morning.

But it’s still a long ways off…..

MichaelJ

@SilentCal wrote:

Brian actually had a great idea that we talked about on our last hike. Mt. Liberty should get a good sized flag up for the whole weekend. From Saturday morning until Monday Morning.

Keep in mind that it’s improper flag etiquette to have it flying in the dark unless it is lit. We’d need to take it down each night and re-fly each morning.

New Hampshire

@MichaelJ wrote:

@SilentCal wrote:

Keep in mind that it’s improper flag etiquette to have it flying in the dark unless it is lit. We’d need to take it down each night and re-fly each morning.

Oh yes, we are well aware, which is why Jim and I agree there is but one merry band of friends crazy enough to haul all the lighting gear required. Can you say….FOOL SCOUTS!!!! ๐Ÿ˜€

Brian

MichaelJ

The creative side of me loves it.
                  The forest and mountain ethics side of me says it’s wrong.

Jaytrek57

Just an aside, I usually stay out of flag “etiquette ” conversations. And I really hate it when people “stay out” of things then post anyways. ๐Ÿ˜†

Flags are flown all the time at night. A great example are graveyards during holidays. The grave flags are considered flown, and not lit.

The other example I can think of is the moon.

Up early this am.

Jay

Stephen

Best I can find: United States Code Title 4 Chapter 1

ยง6. Time and occasions for display

1. It is the universal custom to display the flag only from sunrise to sunset on buildings and on stationary flagstaffs in the open. However, when a patriotic effect is desired, the flag may be displayed twenty-four hours a day if properly illuminated during the hours of darkness.

Jaytrek57

Cool.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.