Forums 2006 Flags on the 48 2006 Post-Event Gathering 2006 Post Event Gathering Thoughts

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
      #47286 |

Last year both the Woodstock Inn and the Highland Center were offered up as possible gathering points and since the Mooseland has burned and may not be rebuilt, it would be best to choose something new!

Personally, I’m for the Woodstock Inn. If we get a few more ideas, we can put it to a vote.

Anyone?

SilentCal

Please remember too that the Event has moved back to a Saturday this year. The KOA campground is an option as well.

MtnMagic

Some will undoubtably go to the Inn. Some will return to the campground to gather and eat. Some will go elsewhere. The Good ‘n You restaurant on Rte 3 in Twin is nice and new, has great food, and low prices. A fine combination.

Me, I’m leaning to return to the campground to eat and socialize there.

Jaytrek57

As I get more psyched up for this year’s event I thought I might jot down some thoughts. I hope we can discuss this at the planning meeting as well.

I am with Magic on this one. I believe having Broken Branch as the place for folks to gather after the event is the way to go.

1. Since it is a saturday event this year, more people would be inclined to stay over IMHO.

2. Easy logistics. We have used this place several times now and it is a neat location.

3. Make it BYOB/Food, but have some grills available.

4. Make it the “official” gathering spot. By that I mean, limit people’s options and we will get a bigger turnout. Obviously, people will go where they wish, hell, I might even pop in at the INN for a quick beer, but if people know far in advance, this is where most people will be…it will work out.

5. Tent Poles. The more people…the more options I have if I forget my tent poles….again. 😳

Much like sports radio…you gotta love “Flag” talk.

Happy Patriot’s Day.

SilentCal

This is something that I’ve thought about a little. Jaytrek brings up some very good points about the KOA. What I think we need to do though, if we go in that direction, is speak to the campground directly while at the planning meeting about doing this. After Labor Day, the campgrounds will not be as crowded and they might really welcome the extra business. Perhaps we will create a committee at the meeting to facilitate this. I don’t plan on putting the main focus of the meeting on this. The Event itself is the main dish. But I do think that it’s a great idea to have a FLAGS gathering-type weekend with the focus being the event itself. Does that make sense?

Frodo

Establishing a “main” post event gathering is a great idea (as we have seen in the past), but the only problem I see with the KOA is it’s location.

It’s South of the Whites off of 93, and people who are doing peaks in the Northern Pressies/Carter Range/Crawford Notch will have a long drive ahead of them.

It works well for the people who are travelling South towards Mass, but not for the people heading to Maine, or NH on the Rt 16 side.

The Mooseland worked out quite well (except for it’s service) due to it’s location, but I think we could be limiting people by choosing a place not in a centralized location. Not that I have a better idea though 😀

MichaelJ

I think the KOA is a great idea, but a really lousy location for a very large percentage of the Whites. BUT … for every northern/eastern peak hiker it excludes, it may bring back a Kanc peak hiker, who is not likely at all to drive north after the event.

So it’s a tough call, but in thinking about the geography, the KOA or the Woodstock Inn may actually exclude the fewest number of people.

There are folks who will want a sit-down meal and won’t come anyway. There are also folks who won’t have the means to keep food frozen/cold/etc. for the day of the hike before coming over.

SilentCal

With the event being a Saturday this year, I think people may hang out for the weekend and not return home until Sunday if can make the post-gathering appealing enough for them to go to. Granted I know some folks will not camp and others will want a sit down resteraunt type meal. I have a goofy vision but here goes.

A Post hike gathering at the KOA. We get several grills and cook up hamburgs and hotdogs for everyone. Volunteers who can’t hike can help out here. It would be bring your on beverages but we could snag a couple cases of soda to dispense but your on your own for beer. Get the ID tags that MichealJ had a few years ago so everyone knows everyone. Have a map of the Whites on a board with colored push-pins identifing the peaks where flags were seen. Some folks can put up their flags displays. Make it a festival type gathering. Before MtnMagic starts the campfire we gather-round for a small prayer for the victims.

Just an idea

MichaelJ

Does “our” area of the KOA have electricity?

SilentCal

Our “island” does not have electricity.
                        💡 However, the sites where Chris parked his camper last year, do have power. I have 200 feet of extention cord. 💡

Chris

We plan to park there again, and will be HAPPY to help supply electricity to the group (for a nominal fee). 🙂

:beer:

MichaelJ

I’m just thinking about recharging my camera. With my new lenses, I plan to take a LOT of pictures this year. The 500mm reflex lens should easily pick up flags from across the Pemi.

mtnpa

@Jaytrek57 wrote:

3. Make it BYOB/Food, but have some grills available.

Great idea Jay but you spelled “girls” wrong.

MtnMagic

@Frodo wrote:

Establishing a “main” post event gathering is a great idea (as we have seen in the past), but the only problem I see with the KOA is it’s location…The Mooseland worked out quite well (except for it’s service) due to it’s location, but I think we could be limiting people by choosing a place not in a centralized location. Not that I have a better idea though 😀

If we feel the Mooseland was “central” and the Woodstock Inn or KOA c.g. too far South, then the Good n You Restaurant is only about 2 miles down the road from Rte 302. I’ve been in there before, it has low priced good food is large enough to hold our group. It has the “location.”

Also, I like the idea of the c.g., a campfire, and eating around it, having one’s favorite beverage. Not worring about driving anywhere and already being “home” for the night.

Mtnpa, I like your spelling!!

TrekMan

I think that expecting all to go to one place is too much. Some will be there quaffing by 4:00 and others will not be able to until after 6:00. That’s what happened to us last year at Mooseland after Moriah. I wanted a cold beer and could not get served for 20+ minutes. Then we left for Bethlehem to eat and head for home (CT).
                                  I think that a couple of places noted should be designated and let geography prevail. I love getting together with other FOT48ers to trade stories, but in comfort and good time.
                                  :beer:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
                                • The forum ‘2006 Post-Event Gathering’ is closed to new topics and replies.